Sunday, April 5, 2009

Words and Pictures - A Long Drive

I'll set the scene: It was April 1990. I was 19. I was a student teacher on the trip of a lifetime. I was in the US to combine teaching rounds and touristy stuff. I embarked on a very long drive, in a bus, on a tour titled the Western Wonders. There were 17 other student teachers, a young Japanese couple on their honeymoon and a handful of other older couples. It was 10 days, driving through lots of desert to visit the so-called Western Wonders - The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Bryce Canyon, Mammoth Lakes, San Francisco, Monterey, Phoenix, Zion National Park and Las Vegas. Did I mention there was lots of driving through endless desert? What do you know and appreciate when you are 19?

I spent 4 weeks teaching a Grade 4 class at Sunnyslope Elementary School, in San Diego. What an education for me that was! I wish I could go back as a confident adult, not a shy teen who knew little about teaching! I had a perm and wore culottes too!

2 comments:

  1. Oh LOVING the perm and the culottes! What an ace adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for coming to visit and sharing your thoughts with me. You keep me blogging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...