Thursday, October 2, 2008

Being Controversial

This post got me thinking about one of my all time favourite books Little Black Sambo.
I have very fond memories of it being read to me at kindergarten. Likewise, I read it each year to my kindergarten group, and I also read it to my own children.
I love the richness of the language and the grandness of the adventure. I hate the thought of "sanitising" stories for children. If they don't know what bazaar or crimson mean - then tell them! visit here for the entire story, with pictures for a little trip down memory lane.

3 comments:

  1. I think I was deprived as a child, I don't remember reading this one. Do you think it has affected me???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too and sought it out a while ago, in a bookshop. I was surprised you can still buy it, given that Big Ears isn't allowed to sleep with Noddy anymore and there are no Gollywogs left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book in my bookcase.....I couldn't believe my luck when I found it...was either at a garage sale or op shop. I was born and lived for 18 years in the Solomon Islands and was always read this story as a child.....and it defnitely wasn't seen to be racist at all. I LOVED IT!
    Hugs Erica

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for coming to visit and sharing your thoughts with me. You keep me blogging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...