Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Honduran Handcrafts

I went on my holiday hopeful of coming back with tons of fabric, crafty books and magazines. Unfortunately this was not to be, as clearly I was looking in the wrong places! Australian newsagents seem to carry more American magazines. So I will just have to share some pics of items crafted by Hondurans and sold at local markets, such as the Mercado de Artesanias Guamilito (Artisan's market)- pictured above. You can buy everything from a multitude of decorative hammocks constructed from rope, to a wide range of leather goods such as purses, bracelets, handbags and sandals. Wordwork also featured, with carved items such as decorative plaques and boxes, to highly polished goods such as bangles and bowls. You could buy beautiful naive pottery, but this was unfortunately a little too heavy to bring back. I am kicking myself that I didn't buy a small piece.
We did buy this small painting for ourselves, as well as the knife for our nephew and these dolls for our nieces, I hope they like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for coming to visit and sharing your thoughts with me. You keep me blogging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...